Baby It’s Cold Out There
This certainly has been a cold winter and according to Punxsutawney Phil we have 6 weeks of winter still ahead of us.
A major concern of this cold weather is the risk of pipes bursting. To keep your pipes free of ice and freezing water, the Institute for Business & Home Safety recommends the following:
- Keep kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate
- Keep house heated to a minimum of 65 degrees
- Place insulation sleeves over exposed pipes
- Drain pipes if your house will be unattended during cold periods
- Shut off the water to the exterior bib on the house
Know how to shut off your water in the event that your pipes do freeze. The quicker you can turn off the water, the better chance you have of preventing your pipes from bursting.